Table of Contents Hide
MEET our Fabulous Beauty Ambassadors.
They will be trying out products, sharing top tips and giving beauty tutorials – just for you.
Ruby Hammer is in the running for the Fabulous Beauty AwardsCredit: catherine harbour
Siobhan O’Connor finds out what makes them tick and their top make-up hacks.
Ruby Hammer and Lisa Armstrong are both in the running for the Fabulous Beauty Awards – which readers can vote for until June 6, for a chance to win a Caribbean holiday. See fabulousmag.co.uk/beautyawards.
- Meet two more panel members – Isabelle Weall, an inspirational make-up guru and quadruple amputee, and skin-positivity advocate Kadeeja Khan – by picking up Fabulous Magazine on Sunday and following us on Instagram @fabulousmag.
HITTING 50, Tracey McAlpine was not ready for the “middle-aged” label that came with it – nor the lack of beauty advice on looking and feeling better.
And so her age-defying beauty blog Fighting Fifty was born.
Tracey McAlpine, 62, champions her natural greys and says ‘I want to make sure you know how to look and feel good as you get older’Credit: catherine harbour
Now 60, and mum to Charlotte, 34, and Chris, 32, Tracey engages over-50s with her videos, Instagram content, product reviews and advice.
Championing her natural greys, Tracey believes in growing old gracefully – using all the products available.
She says: “I am so excited to be involved as a Fabulous beauty ambassador because it is so good to see older women represented.
“I was a stay-at-home mum for 25 years, I was completely out of the workplace yet I still felt really upbeat and positive.
“I wanted to dispel this myth that older women become invisible, and prove you can still look and feel great.
“I want to make sure you know how to look and feel good as you get older. Beauty is for us all.”
Hand cream – Hands show age quickly so keep them looking soft
- ARK Skincare intensive hand and nail cream, £20, feelunique.com – buy here
Tracey’s top hacks
- Smother lip balm on before bed for super soft lips.
- Wear SPF every day, it’s the most important part of your skincare routine – wrinkles are a tell-tale sign of age, so keep them at bay.
- Add a drop of facial oil to your foundation to keep mature skin moisturised and dewy during the day.
GRACING TV shows like Britain’s Next Top Model, The Clothes Show and 10 Years Younger, Ruby Hammer knows a thing or two about make-up.
Yet it was by accident that the economics graduate got into the industry. By fluke, Ruby got to assist a make-up artist, her passion developed and she went on to launch cosmetics brand Ruby & Millie for Boots in 1998.
Ruby Hammer MBE, 59, who launched cosmetics brand Ruby & Millie in 1998 says ‘I’m looking forward to offering guidance to Fabulous readers and having fun’Credit: catherine harbour
Ruby, 59, who was born to Bangladeshi parents in Nigeria and emigrated to England at the age of 13, was awarded an MBE in 2007 for her services to the cosmetics industry.
She says: “I have been blessed with such an amazing career I adore – and now I can’t wait to share what I know as a Fabulous Beauty Ambassador.
“I’ve been working for over 30 years. I learnt everything I know by assisting.
“It’s always been such a passion for me, that even today I still absolutely love what I do.
“I’m looking forward to offering guidance to Fabulous readers and having fun.”
Lip balm – my lips get so dry, so I have to keep them hydrated
- Biossance Squalene rose vegan lip balm, £16, cultbeauty.co.uk – buy here
Ruby’s top hacks
- Less is always more – make-up is a tool to enhance.
- Blend, blend, blend – it’s the ultimate secret to making you skin look flawless.
- Small brushes. I love brushes that are precise and give me more control. That way you can touch-up exact spots rather than your whole face.
STARTING off on beauty counters, Keshia East began sharing everything she knows on Instagram – and her following rocketed.
Raised in Walthamstow, London, the daughter of a British father and Ghanaian mother – and singer Fleur East’s sister – Keshia specialises in hair and make-up.
Instagram beauty influencer Keshia East, 29, reveals ‘I am so excited to become a Fabulous Beauty Ambassador – it feels like a dream come true’Credit: catherine harbour
The 29-year-old is a go-to for all things curl-care, covering tried and tested products and handy, easy hacks.
Keshia says: “I am so excited to become a Fabulous Beauty Ambassador – it feels like a dream come true, as I love sharing my tips and tricks.
“My obsession started with make-up very young. There are pictures of me trying to apply make-up to my uncles at family parties.
“I often found there was not the exact advice I was looking for out there, that’s why I started sharing my own hacks.
“I absolutely love to share tips and tricks that are always short and snappy, but my speciality is definitely hacks – I always want to get the most out of products.”
Huda beauty legit lashes
- Mascara, Huda beauty legit lashes, £24, cultbeauty.co.uk – buy here
Keshia’s top hacks
- Mixing highlighter with body cream and making a glossy moisturiser.
- My make-up stash included so many satin lipsticks and none matte, so instead of buying more I would just dab a translucent powder over the top, that way it takes off some of the shine.
- I’m all for DIY masks, try avocado, egg yolk, honey and castor oil for your hair – it can help with dry scalps and leave your locks looking shiny.
AS Strictly Come Dancing’s head make-up designer, Lisa Armstrong has all the top insider secrets on getting glammed up.
A disco dancing enthusiast, Oxford-born Lisa thanks her performing childhood for a successful career in make-up.
Strictly Come Dancing’s head make-up designer Lisa Armstrong, 44, says ‘I’m looking forward to testing out products and sharing my expertise’Credit: catherine harbour
Dressing up in feathers for shows at the age of six, Lisa was eager to match her outfit with bright eyeshadow and bold lippy.
The award-winning make-up artist, 44, went on to work on a host of top telly shows, including The X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent and This Morning, as well as turning her talents to photoshoots and content for social media – plus her own make-up brand, Lisa Armstrong X Avon.
Lisa says: “I am so excited to become a Fabulous Beauty Ambassador.
“I’m looking forward to testing out products and sharing my expertise – I’ve been working in the industry for over 20 years, so I have a lot to say.
“I have always been so passionate about make-up and beauty, so I am thrilled to share with you what I know.”
Clarins Hydrating Facial Mist, we all need a refreshing spritz now and then
- Clarins RE-FRESH Hydrating Beauty Mist, £16, Boots – buy here
Lisa’s top hacks
- Using my lipsticks as a cream blusher — two for the price of one.
- Always spritz your face with a mist before applying make-up, that way your base will have a moisturising glow.
- Use highlighter in the corner of your eyes, it will make them pop so they look brighter. Perfect for tackling tired eyes!
Vote for the Fabulous Beauty Awards
VOTE NOW for your favourite beauty gadget in our Beauty awards and win some amazing prizes, including a Caribbean holiday and £17,000 worth of beauty goodies. Choose from:
- FOREO LUNA 3
- FaceGym Multi-Sculpt Tool
- Braun Silk-épil 9 Flex 9100 Wet & Dry
- Waterpik Waterpik Cordless Select Water Flosser
- Oral-B Oral-B iO
- No7 No7 Laboratories LED Mask