Yum (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)
Looking for some sweet treats to enjoy this weekend?
Coffee and chocolate-lovers could do a lot worse than these coffee cupcakes with a mocha buttercream frosting.
Not only does the recipe yield some very tasty results, but it’s also nice and simple, requiring ingredients you likely already have in your cupboard.
If not, they shouldn’t too hard to find at your local shop.
How to make coffee cupcakes
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 18 minutes
- 95g golden caster sugar
- 95g butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 95g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tbsp strong coffee
- Cupcake Pan
- Cupcake Liners
For the frosting:
- 170g butter, softened
- 335g icing sugar
- 21g cocoa powder
- 10g instant espresso powder
- 60ml of mocha coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 60ml heavy cream
- 100g dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- Dark chocolate, sprinkles (optional)
Method for the cupcakes:
- Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan or gas mark 3. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, adding 1 tbsp of flour at the same time.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, espresso and a pinch of nutmeg.8
- Finally, beat in the rest of the flour. Spoon the mixture into your cupcake liners and bake for 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Method for the icing
- Cream the butter until light and creamy, slowly adding in the powdered sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the heavy cream, espresso, coffee and cocoa powder. If you would like dark chocolate mocha buttercream, add in 100g of melted dark chocolate here.
- Slowly beat this mixture into the frosting until soft peaks are formed. You may not need all of the liquid to achieve this consistency.
- Frost your coffee cupcakes and top with dark chocolate sprinkles for decoration. Enjoy!
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected]