PRINCE Harry has revealed he killed 25 people during his time in Afghanistan.
Writing in his autobiography Spare, the Duke of Sussex says he is neither proud nor ashamed of “taking human lives” as it was simply his job as a solider.
Prince Harry on patrol through in the Helmand province in southern Afghanistan in 2008Credit: AFP
The Duke of Sussex working as a helicopter pilot at Camp Bastion in 2012Credit: Getty – Pool
Harry‘s military career lasted 10 years and included two deployments to Afghanistan – in 2007 and 2008, and again in 2012 to 2013.
While working as an Apache helicopter pilot during the second, he flew on six missions that resulted in Taliban deaths.
The prince says that he did not think of the 25 as “people” but rather “chess pieces” that had to be taken off the board.
He also saw the insurgents he killed as “baddies eliminated before they could kill goodies”, he writes.
Soldiers do not usually know how many enemies they have wiped out, but Harry alleges he watched footage of each of his kills when he got back to base.
“My number is 25. It’s not a number that fills me with satisfaction, but nor does it embarrass me,” he says.
Harry was deployed as a forward air controller in the Helmand province during his tour in 2007.
He was “very proud” to serve there for more than two months before his location was leaked.
He was promoted to the rank of lieutenant with the Household Cavalry on in April 2008 then retrained as a helicopter pilot in the Army Air Corps.
Harry returned to Afghanistan in 2012 as a co-pilot and gunner at Camp Bastion for 20 weeks before leaving the military in March 2015.
He said at the time that killing insurgents was part of his job, and that “we take a life to save a life”.
What we’ve learned since Harry’s bombshell book was leaked:
Security experts say the duke’s service makes him a top target for kidnapping, terrorism and a range of other threats.
Harry and wife Meghan Markle were stripped of their round-the-clock protection when they stepped back from royal duties.
The prince launched legal action against the government over the decision to take away his bodyguards, claiming it was unsafe for his family to return to the UK without them.
The Sussexes then sued again after being told they couldn’t even pay for police themselves. The court told them officers were not “guns for hire”.
They now fund their own security, which reportedly previously cost the taxpayer £5million a year.
Spare is due to hit shelves on January 10, but the Spanish edition is already for sale in some bookshops on the continent.
The Sun managed to nab one of the first copies. This story is based off a translation and a report by The Telegraph.
So far, it has emerged that William allegedly attacked his brother during a row over Meghan.
Wills allegedly branded the former Suits star “rude” and “difficult” then grabbed Harry by the collar.
He ripped his necklace before knocking him to the floor, smashing a dog bowl under his back, according to an extract published by The Guardian.
Other bombshells include Charles allegedly pleading with his sons not to make his final years a misery, accusing Camilla of leaking stories to the press, and Harry admitting to taking drugs.
Harry mans a 50mm machine gun aimed at Taliban fighters in 2008Credit: Getty
Harry was deployed twice to AfghanistanCredit: Getty – Contributor
Harry, William and Charles returned to RAF Brize Norton in 2008Credit: Getty
Harry’s military career lasted 10 yearsCredit: PA:Press Association