Good morning football fans
Manchester United legend Cristiano Ronaldo faces a wait for his Al Nassr debut with the Portugal captain still needing to serve a two-match ban, as per SunSport’s Jack Rosser.
The FA slapped Ronaldo, 37, with a £50,000 fine and a two-match ban in November for knocking an Everton fan’s mobile phone out of his hand following a game at Goodison Park in April last year.
Saudi club Al Nassr paraded their new £170million-a-year signing at an absurd unveiling on Tuesday but will have to wait to see the world’s best paid player step out for a competitive game.
The Saudi Arabian giants face Al Ta’ee on Thursday, but their new No7 will have to watch from the stands for his first two Saudi Pro League games.
FIFA rules clearly stipulate that any sanction handed out by a former association but not served before the player moves clubs “shall be enforced by the new association”.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was handed the ban after his United contract was terminated, meaning he will not be available until Al Nassr’s home game against Ettifaq on January 21.
Meanwhile, Chelsea continue talks with Benfica over Enzo Fernandez and have been told to restructure their transfer bid.
The Blues have submitted an offer believed to be in the region of £112m for Fernandez.
That is above the midfielder’s £106m buyout clause but the Portuguese giants are still not happy with the bid.
The Lisbon outfit demands the West Londoners modify their offer, which was made up of three payments of £37.3m over three years for the Argentina international.
Chelsea are hoping to evade financial fair play restrictions, having spent heavily this past summer.
And Shakhtar Donetsk director Darijo Srna will be in London this week to discuss a potential deal involving Mykhailo Mudryk, who has been linked with Arsenal and the Blues.
Srna is expected to attend Thursday’s Stamford Bridge clash between the West Londoners and Manchester City.
Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano reports Shakhtar will be in communication with Chelsea over Mudryk but he adds that the Gunners remain the 21-year-old’s priority.
Finally, Tottenham manager Antonio Conte admitted before Wednesday’s 4-0 win at Crystal Palace that he is facing a dilemma over his future with his contract running out in June.
Conte said: “I signed when I found the club in a difficult position for many reasons.
“Now my task, I understood it very well, is to try to help the club go in the right direction or to come back in the right direction about the choices of the players, about the work, to organise and to create a foundation.
“Now this is my big challenge here. If I want to stay, then I have to accept this. Otherwise, if I do not want to accept this then I have to go.”